Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Bunny Bark with Freebie Labels

Oh my word.
I am so excited over the girls' Easter treats for their friends at daycare this year!

I love when you taste something for the first time and your heart just sinks a little because it's that delicious!

Seriously. My husband didn't want me to make the last 10 teacher bags so that he could have some of this for himself! Unfortunately, he lost that debate ... or did he? I'm pretty sure I got suckered into making him a whole batch for himself on another day.

Deliciousness
Recently, I saw on Pinterest a neat idea for Easter Marshmallow Bark but was shocked when I couldn't find the Rainbow Miniature Marshmallows in store. 

Instead all I could find were these super cute Rainbow Bunny Mallows. 

Hence, the birth of Bunny Bark

Adaptations to the original {linked} recipe
The 1st batch I made I skipped the Crisco and used the whole bag of mallows (vs. the 3 cups it called for) per 12oz bag of white chocolate chips and I quickly realized it needed some adaptions. I really wanted to use the whole bag of marshmallows vs having a small amount left over. I'd rather have left over chocolate than left over mallows.

The 2nd and 3rd batches I did use a few dollops of Crisco to help make the consistency of the chocolate more spreadable. I also added 1/2 bag of Wilton Candy Melt (because that's what I had) to each 12oz bag of white chips to accommodate for the full bag of mallows.

Bunny Bark

  • 1.5 bags white chocolate chips (about 18oz)
  • 8 oz bag of Bunny Mallows
  • 1-2 TBSP shortening (optional, but it really helps with the consistency of the melted chocolate)
  • Easter sprinkles

Put the white chocolate chips and shortening in a medium microwave safe bowl. 


Melt chocolate in the microwave for 1 minute on 50% power. Stir for about 15 seconds, then return to the microwave for an additional 15 seconds on 50% power. Stirring actually helps the chocolate melt down the rest of the way. If you overheat the chocolate, you can't fix the consistency. You must work fast at this point. 

Pour the Bunny Mallows into the chocolate melt and stir quickly to coat the mallows. Pour into a parchment paper lined 1/2 cookie sheet and put in freezer for 10-20 minutes to set the chocolate before it melts the mallows. 

The easiest way to make single portions was to just break the bark after it has set in the freezer for 10-20 minutes. Plus I wanted to get the most out of my batches instead of cutting out shapes and having wasted bark pieces.

Presentation
Those who know me know I like to make personalized labels/tags to attach to each crafty item/gift I make. I whipped up a batch of Bunny Bark labels from each of my girls.


I simply added a serving of Bunny Bark to a bag, hole punched the label and bag and attached the label with a ribbon...easy peasy!



Get a set of free Bunny Bark labels here and add in your own child's name (or yours if you wish)! The labels can be cut out with a 2" circle puncher. *These labels are for personal use only and not to be sold*

Note: I was able to make 47 individual bags from 3 batches of this recipe and that is with 10 of those getting a larger portion since they are for the teachers.



No comments: