Friday, January 17, 2014

"Tutu Thrilled" Baby Shower {Details}

I had the honor of hosting a baby shower for a dear friend recently. I had co-hosted a shower years ago but never thrown one by myself before. I made almost everything myself to save on cost. We had a total of 13 ladies over to my house for a lunch time shower.

The mother-to-be is expecting her 2nd daughter and I gave her a few options on the theme and was thrilled with her choice of a "Tutu Thrilled" theme!
The Invite
Diaper Wreath
Make a Quilt Square for Baby Stella
Don't Say "Baby" mini tutu pin game (Prize = Bottle of Wine)
Diaper Raffle (Prize = Nice Picture Frame)
Late Night Diapers
Guess How Many Diapers (Prize = Bath Lotion/Sprays)
How Well Do You Know Melissa? (Prize = The Cookie Bible Cookbook)
Decor: Draped Table Cloth, Balloons, Babies Breath, Tulle "S"
Tulle "S" as a nursery decor gift
Tutu Water Bottles

Spiked Pink Lemonade
Chips & Homemade Salsa

Build Your Own Taco Bar: Shredded Salsa Chicken
Italian Pasta Salad (for any non-Mexican food or vegetarian guests)
Chocolate Dipped Pink Wafers

The Cake
Ombre Rossette Tutu Cake
Late Night Diapers
Labor Starter Salsa for Mom-to-be!
Favors
Tutu sweet of you to come!
The Details:
Invitations: made by me
Tutu Clip Art: Etsy Seller DreamlikeMagic
Diaper Wreath: made by me & given as gift (14" ring wrapped with 14 size 2 diapers)
Mini Tutu Pins: made by me
Quilt Squares: provided by mom-to-be
The Cake: LydiasCakes ($40)
Cake Stand Tutu: made by me & given to mom-to-be as gift after
Labels (food & favors): made by me
Tulle "S": made by me & given as gift after (cardboard letter from Hobby Lobby wrapped in tulle)
Tutu Water Bottles: made by me
Prizes: all were new items I had around the house

Everything was relatively cheap and easy to prepare. I bought the tulle in 40 yard spools in the wedding department at Hobby Lobby when 50% off. The main costs were the cake & diapers. I could have made the cake to look like this but the requested flavor was Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Icing, which I am not experienced in making. Plus it took stress of me by just ordering it. 

Overall, I think it turned out very cute! The mom-to-be received a book from each guest along with their gift. 

Happy Partying!

*TULLE LETTER UPDATE: As this post is becoming more popular I can't keep up with all the requests on how to make the tulle wrapped letter. So here it is: I just made it up! I bought a 8" paper mâché letter at Hobby Lobby. Painted it the same color as the tulle. Take a spool of tulle and hot glued the 1st end down. Then start wrapping the letter. I went over it several times then hot glued the last end down where it wouldn't show. The flower is on the wedding isle of Hobby Lobby. The tulle makes the bottom of the letter fluffy so it can't stand on its own. I lean it on a bookshelf. If you need it freestanding, you need to create a flat weight at the bottom before tulle wrapping it. These instructions are for personal use only and not to be sold for profit. 


44 comments:

Shirley said...

Hi! I found this post from Pinterest and the shower looks beautiful! I love everything about it. I love the tulle wrapped S. And I especially love the flowers on it. Did you make those? I have an idea on how to make them, but I thought I would ask. They are perfect for a headband for my baby's first birthday. So do you have a tutorial or can you explain how you made them? My email is shirleyhale21@hotmai.com. Thank you!

Tonya said...

Email sent! Hope it helped :)

Unknown said...

How do you make the tutu for the water bottles

Unknown said...

I too would like to know how to make the tutu water bottles...I have a shower for my boss this week I want to do these....I also and doing the tulle wrapped letter.
Thank you for the inspiration.

naiwatts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tonya said...

I just made up the tutu water bottles. I simply tied a piece a ribbon around each water bottle. I made tiny bunches of tulle (squares of tulle tied in the center with string then fluffed) and hot glued them to the center of each ribbon. Hope this helps!

Edith*live*love*laugh said...

Hi! I love the cake stand tutu and drink tutu you made...Im guessing you made those just with the tulle you bought from hobby lobby? How did you make them exactly? They are gorgeous! EMandell

Tonya said...

For the drink dispenser I used a baby elastic headband and tied tulle to it. For the cake stand I used a crochet waffle headband, tied tulle through the holes and placed it around the edge of the cake stand!

Brittany said...

Hi! Would you mind emailing me on how you did the tulle S and how/where you got the flowers you made on it? I am throwing my friend a baby shower and would like to make one of these for her after seeing your example on pinterest! :) I am also going to attempt the tutu water bottles as well! Thanks! My email is bellas.mommy630@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hi - Could you also please email me how you made the tulle S? tmkirk440@gmail.com Thanks!

Unknown said...

Could you please email me the instructions on making the water bottle tutu's. Thank you so much! Your shower looks Amazing! ajchesney@comcast.net or
dimpleschesney@gmail.com

Tonya said...

Adrienne - I posted brief instructions for the water bottles in my comments. Thanks!

jerseygal said...

Hi.. I love the tulle S idea for my baby's first birthday. Can you please email me the directions to make the tulle S and also how did you make the flower or did you buy it? Thanks jerseygal_21@yahoo.co.in

Unknown said...

This is beautiful! I am doing a Tu2tu party for my daughter's second birthday, and I love the tulle wrapped letter - did you have to paint the letter first? or did you just wrap it with tons of tulle?

Thanks for sharing!!

jerseygal said...

Hi Tonya,

Can you please send me the instructions for making the S as well as the flower. My daughter's birthday is 2 weekends away and i really want to get this ready in time.
Thank you!!
jerseygal_21@yahoo.co.in

Unknown said...

Hello Tonya,

I would love to know how you made the tulle letter as well :)

csdenny93@gmail.com

Tonya said...

Emails have been sent and I updated the post with instructions for the future.

Anonymous said...

I love all of your ideas! Where can I find the recipe for the spiked pink punch?

Tonya said...

Thanks! I don't have a spiked punch recipe. I'm sure you can Google search one. I used pink lemonade and it was spiked by the guest of honor. I really don't know what she used...rum maybe?

Unknown said...

Can you tell me how to do the cake stand and the basket. I have a baby shower tutu on May 17, 2015?

Unknown said...

lnwashington@mvsu.edu

Tonya said...

Lisa- I have posted the cake stand instructions in comments above: "For the cake stand I used a crochet waffle headband, tied tulle through the holes and placed it around the edge of the cake stand!"

For the basket: I took a basket, made the sign, punched holes in each side and tied it onto the basket with tulle. Pretty simple.

Unknown said...

Beautiful idea...love it all...can you please tell me how you made the little signs and salsa sticker

Unknown said...

I love your post. I have been task with doing my cousin baby shower and it is Tutu and Tiaras theme. Can you please tell me how you did the water bottles.

Thank you
Michele

Tonya said...

Hi Michele, thanks for commenting! I posted the water bottle how to in the comments already. Here is what I did "I just made up the tutu water bottles. I simply tied a piece a ribbon around each water bottle. I made tiny bunches of tulle (squares of tulle tied in the center with string then fluffed) and hot glued them to the center of each ribbon. Hope this helps!"

ncpfitness said...

I would love the email for the Letter as well, thanks for all the great ideas

ncpfitness@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

Hi sweetheart, can you tell me how you made the tutu pins?

Tonya said...

Tammy, I just layered a tiny piece of tulle till it looked like a little skirt. Then weaved tiny safty pin through it to hold. Finally hot glued tiny bows on. Hope that helps!

Unknown said...

Hello!! Can you email me the instructions to make the Tulle Letter? My email address is whitetigerrose98@yahoo.com. Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

May I please have the instructions to make the Tulle Letter? Thanks! alakeman@partners.org

Living a BLESSED LIFE said...

can you please send me how to make the tutu water bottles lisa@bethesdabible.com

Unknown said...

Hello could you email me on how you did the S? I have been trying to do a K. aanderson2419@gmail.com. Thanks You!!

Unknown said...

Hi, love all the tutu craftiness. I especially love the S wrapped tutu, could you please a tutorial on how it is done! Or an email if you find the time. Thank you. gail.guarini.gg@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hi Tonya... Everything is so pretty. What fonts do you use for the "TUTU"? Thanks

Tonya said...

Elizabeth, the font for TUTU is Marker Felt. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Could you please tell me how you made the tulle letter "S" and did you make the flowers or what did you use....Thank you, my email address is rcare26@gmail.com

Tonya said...

Hi Rita! Please read the blog post, which has the instructions. Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am wanting to make tutu water bottles for my daughter-in-love's shower. I've made the tutu table skirts, & now need to complete my pre-shower duties by making tutu's for the water bottles. I've seen poms on other sites, but really like the tutu look you did. Would you mind sending me some directions? My email address is vida559@yahoo.com.
Thank you so very much!

Unknown said...

Hi I love all of your beautiful ideas for a girlie baby shower . Can you please send me instructions on how to make the letters wrapped in tulle? I would really appreciate it. Actually I would like for you to show me how to do the letter M please? Thank you so much. Heres my email address, lupewells8@gmail.com and thanks again.

Unknown said...

Hi! I really love what you did especially for the letter "S" covered with the pink tutu and flowers. I was wondering if you could advice me on how to make that? :)

Unknown said...

how do i print out the don't say baby tutu game

Unknown said...

This is a great inspiring article.
see this

BroddyAdams said...

Great site you have here but I was curious if you knew of any user discussion forums that cover the same topics talked about here? I'd really like to be a part of online community where I can get responses from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks!
custom drinkware

Unknown said...

Hi there! Can youn please send me the instructions on how to make the diaper wreath? My email is maida41471@yahoo.com. Thanks!